Posted By Veiled Muslimah on/at 9/05/2007 02:34:00 PM

Assalāmu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullāhi Wabarakath,

A lot of People daydream. Some do it occasionally while others do it frequently. I am in the middle. My mind has the habit of slipping off into my own fantasy World. I developed the habit of daydreaming when I was younger and I still do it sometimes. I think the amount of books I read and the fiction I used to write before added to it. Daydreaming once in a while is acceptable and some say it helps Writers, Poets, Artists and the ilk to give out a more productive performance, however doing it constantly is damaging to the individual.


I actually enjoy[ed] daydreaming. I have a very active imagination and when I would finish reading a fictional book, I'd daydream about it and the situation. I'd twist the plot around or add other interesting bits to it which I found appropriate. At other times, I'd daydream about things I for some reason cannot get involved in, but my imagination allows me to sketch the scenario in my mind. Sometimes I get so frustrated with the current political and religious situation facing us in these times, I imagine and daydream about a better future and a united Ummah.

I won't say that daydreaming hasn't helped me. It's helped me greatly in the past with my Literature papers or when I wish to pen down my thoughts or simply write.

But in the end, the reality is, too much off daydreaming is a waste of time and non-productive.

It takes you away from reality, gives you false hope and allows you to become anti-social.

But most importantly, it takes you away from
Ibaadah - The Worship of Allah subhanna wa ta'ala.

Allaah Subhanna wa ta'ala has said in the Qur'an:

{I did not create Jinn and Men except that they may worship me.} [51:56]

We all know that Shaytaan is always trying to distract us from obeying and worshiping Allah subhanna wa ta'ala. He'll jump in on our weaknesses and whatever he can find to keep us away from Ibaadah.

It says in Surah Al-Araf in the Holy Qur'an:

(Iblis) said:"Allow me respite till the day they are raised up." {14}

(Allah) said: "You are of those respited."{15}

(Iblis) said: "Because you have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on your straight path. {16}

Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and you will not find most of them thankful one (i.e- they will not be dutiful to you)."{17}



So doing too much off daydreaming will result in you being distracted in your Salaah and when you do your dhikr because that scenario you were imagining in your mind suddenly pops up while you're standing in prayer and it distracts your concentration. Shaytaan knows that it is your weakness and will use it to prevent you from doing you Salaah properly.

So how does one prevent oneself from daydreaming?

First of all, a person needs to understand the importance of time from the Islamic point of view.

By Al- 'Asr (the time). {1}

Verily, man is in loss, {2}

Except those who believe (in Islâmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth (i.e. order one another to perform all kinds of good deeds (Al-Ma'ruf) which Allâh has ordained, and abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds (Al-Munkar) which Allâh has forbidden), and recommend one another to patience (for the sufferings, harms, and injuries which one may encounter in Allâh's Cause during preaching His religion of Islâmic Monotheism or Jihâd). {3}

Surah Al-Asr


Our life on this World is limited. Every soul will taste death and we will be accounted for everything that we did in this World. Instead of wasting time, we need to hasten to do deeds which will benefit us in the hereafter. It is this that we need to understand. We need to do enough good deeds so that the scale of good deeds will be heavier.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Make the most of five things before five others: life before death, health before sickness, free time before becoming busy, youth before old age, and wealth before poverty.” See Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 1077.

And

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“There are two blessings which many people do not make the most of and thus lose out: good health and free time.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6412.

When you get distracted, or start daydreaming too much or procrastinating, seek refuge in Allah azza wa jal, and make yourself useful. Seek knowledge and read that book. I'm not saying one should stop daydreaming altogether, that is quite impossible. But indulging once in a while is something that I have resorted to.

Ma'asalamah

    Get Feed Share on Digg Share on StumbleUpon Share on Delicious
Posted in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi :) Please be civil.


About

Musings, Articles and Ramblings of a Muslim Woman which range from a variety of different subjects.

Location: Dubai - United Arab Emirates.
The believers are only those who, when Allâh is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'ân) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone).
Surat Al-Anfal - Verse 2
The Holy Qurán